What is SEED?
The U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) collaborates with Women In Government and other state-based organizations through the State Exchange on Employment and Disability (SEED) to improve employment outcomes for people with disabilities. SEED works with state legislators to effectively address barriers that may hinder successful long-term employment and economic security for these constituents. Through these collaborations, SEED ensures that state policymakers have the tools and resources they need to develop strategies that build a disability-inclusive workforce. Read more about SEED here.
SEED Strong Economies Webinar: Work and Wellbeing: Strategies for Advancing Inclusive Mental Health Policies
CT Public Act 19-17, AAC Workers' Compensation Benefits for Certain Mental or Emotional Impairments, Mental Health Care for Police Officers and Wellness Training for Police Officers, Parole Officers, and Firefighters
- Addressing the Mental Health Needs of Workers Throughout and Beyond the COVID-19 Pandemic State Responses
CSG policy brief providing a range of policy and program options for states to consider as they enhance mental health supports for workers.
NCSL blog post discussing employment protections outlined in Title I of the ADA that can apply to people with addiction to alcohol and people in recovery from opioid and other substance use disorders and provides examples of states that have taken action to improve services and supports for those covered under this federal law.
CSG West, highlighting data/stats on mental health and links to various related resources.
Explored the impact of the pandemic on people’s mental health and identifies disability-inclusive policy options that state and local policymakers may want to consider.
A quick reference guide with policy options to help state and local policymakers adopt inclusive COVID-19 mental health policies.
Check out Women In Government’s podcast: “Unseen But Heard: State Solutions for Non-Visible Disabilities in the Workplace.”
SEED COVID-19 Policy Collaborative for an Inclusive Recovery Resources
Summer Summit Session: Post-Secondary Education to Inclusive and Equitable Workforce Readiness
INCLUSIVE APPRENTICESHIP EVENT RESOURCES:
- Apprenticeships (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/features/apprenticeships
- Workforce Development Page (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/policy-centers/cross-center-initiatives/building-americas-workforc
- Inclusive Apprenticeship: A Summary of What We Know about Inclusive Apprenticeship (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/104249/inclusive-apprenticeship-a-summary-of-what-we-know-about-apprentices-with-disabilities.pdf
- U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy: Disability Inclusion Guides and Resources: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/odep/program-areas/apprenticeship
- Social Policy Research Associates AIM Resource Library: https://www.spra.com/aim-resource-library/
- Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology (PEAT) Information on Inclusive Apprenticeship Programs: https://www.peatworks.org/?s=inclusive+apprentice
- Partnership on Inclusive Apprenticeship: https://inclusiveapprenticeship.org/
- State Example: Ohio Vocational Apprentice Program: https://ood.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/ood/about-us/programs-and-partnerships/ohio-vocational-apprentice-program
- State Example: California Apprenticeship Initiative: https://caihub.foundationccc.org/
- State Example: Washington State Pre-Apprenticeship and Supportive Program: https://wsdot.wa.gov/EqualOpportunity/pass.htm
- State Example: Maryland State Apprenticeship Expansion Grants: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/appr/apprgrantexp.shtml
- State Example: Wisconsin Youth Apprenticeship: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/apprenticeship/
SUPPLEMENTAL INCLUSIVE WORK RESOURCES:
- Work Matters: A Framework for States on Workforce Development for People with Disabilities (SEED-State Exchange on Employment and Disability): https://issuu.com/csg.publications/docs/seed_report_2016_web
- Work Matters Checklist: Policy Options for Enhancing the Employment of People with Disabilities (SEED-State Exchange on Employment and Disability): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Work-Matters-Checklist_6...
- The Future of the Workforce: Approaches to Increasing Access & Inclusion (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Future-of-the-Workforce-...
- States Expand Employment and Training Opportunities for People with Disabilities (National Governors Association): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/States-Expand-Employment...
- Learning on the Job for People with Disabilities (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/learning-on-the-job-f...
- Apprenticeships: A Pipeline for an Inclusive Recovery (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/learning-on-the-job-f...
- State Approaches Foster Retention and Better Outcomes for Workers with Disabilities (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/blog/2020/09/08/state-approaches-foster-retention-a...
- Advancing Inclusion and Diversity in the Workforce (USCM-U.S. Conference of Mayors): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Advancing-Inclusion-and-...
INCLUSIVE APPRENTICESHIP WEBINARS AND PODCASTS:
- Utilizing Public Sector Apprenticeships to Improve Employment Outcomes (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://web.csg.org/2020/event/utilizing-public-sector-apprenticeships-t...
- Getting Ready for Work – Youth Transition and Guideposts for Success (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://youtu.be/aRESmgjKeB
- An Inclusive Economic Recovery for All Americans (WGA-Western Governors Association)
Toolkits, Briefs, ADA Anniversary, National Disabaility Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM - October) Resources
- WIG Summer Summit Series July 1, 2020: ADA 30th Anniversary - State Exchange on Employment & Disability (Transcript)
- Sample National Disability Awareness Month Anniversary & ADA Anniversary Proclamation
- Sample ADA 30th Anniversary Proclamation
- TN SB 1612 "Tennessee Accessible Transportation and Mobility Act of 2020"
- Sample Executive Order/Joint Resolution to Establish A Task Force to Increase the Inclusion of People with Disabilities in The Workplace
- Policy Checklist: A Guidepost for Analyzing State Policy from a Disability Perspective
- SEED One-Pager: Advancing Policy for a More Inclusive Workforce
- Women In Government's Companion Toolkit: "State Strategies to Assist Employees with Mental Health and Substance Use Issues Stay At Work/Return To Work"
- SEED Info Brief: "Stay-at-Work/Return-to-Work"
Check Out WIG's Latest SEED Podcast!