What is SEED?
The U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) collaborates with Women In Government and other state-based organizations through the State Exchange on Employment and Disability (SEED) to improve employment outcomes for people with disabilities. SEED works with state legislators to effectively address barriers that may hinder successful long-term employment and economic security for these constituents. Through these collaborations, SEED ensures that state policymakers have the tools and resources they need to develop strategies that build a disability-inclusive workforce. Read more about SEED here.
SEED COVID-19 Policy Collaborative for an Inclusive Recovery Resources
Summer Summit Session: Post-Secondary Education to Inclusive and Equitable Workforce Readiness
- Apprenticeships (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/features/apprenticeships
- Workforce Development Page (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/policy-centers/cross-center-initiatives/building-americas-workforc
- Inclusive Apprenticeship: A Summary of What We Know about Inclusive Apprenticeship (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/104249/inclusive-apprenticeship-a-summary-of-what-we-know-about-apprentices-with-disabilities.pdf
- Building and Apprenticeship Infrastructure for Youth Receiving SSI (The Urban Institute): https://www.urban.org/research/publication/building-apprenticeship-infrastructure-youth-receiving-ssi/view/full_report
- U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy: Disability Inclusion Guides and Resources: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/odep/program-areas/apprenticeship
- Social Policy Research Associates AIM Resource Library: https://www.spra.com/aim-resource-library/
- Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology (PEAT) Information on Inclusive Apprenticeship Programs: https://www.peatworks.org/?s=inclusive+apprentice
- Partnership on Inclusive Apprenticeship: https://inclusiveapprenticeship.org/
- State Example: Ohio Vocational Apprentice Program: https://ood.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/ood/about-us/programs-and-partnerships/ohio-vocational-apprentice-program
- State Example: California Apprenticeship Initiative: https://caihub.foundationccc.org/
- State Example: Washington State Pre-Apprenticeship and Supportive Program: https://wsdot.wa.gov/EqualOpportunity/pass.htm
- State Example: Maryland State Apprenticeship Expansion Grants: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/appr/apprgrantexp.shtml
- State Example: Wisconsin Youth Apprenticeship: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/apprenticeship/
- Work Matters: A Framework for States on Workforce Development for People with Disabilities (SEED-State Exchange on Employment and Disability): https://issuu.com/csg.publications/docs/seed_report_2016_web
- Work Matters Checklist: Policy Options for Enhancing the Employment of People with Disabilities (SEED-State Exchange on Employment and Disability): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Work-Matters-Checklist_6...
- The Future of the Workforce: Approaches to Increasing Access & Inclusion (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Future-of-the-Workforce-...
- States Expand Employment and Training Opportunities for People with Disabilities (National Governors Association): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/States-Expand-Employment...
- Learning on the Job for People with Disabilities (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/learning-on-the-job-f...
- Apprenticeships: A Pipeline for an Inclusive Recovery (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/learning-on-the-job-f...
- State Approaches Foster Retention and Better Outcomes for Workers with Disabilities (NCSL-National Conference of State Legislatures): https://www.ncsl.org/blog/2020/09/08/state-approaches-foster-retention-a...
- Advancing Inclusion and Diversity in the Workforce (USCM-U.S. Conference of Mayors): https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/Advancing-Inclusion-and-...
- Utilizing Public Sector Apprenticeships to Improve Employment Outcomes (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://web.csg.org/2020/event/utilizing-public-sector-apprenticeships-t...
- Getting Ready for Work – Youth Transition and Guideposts for Success (CSG-The Council of State Governments): https://youtu.be/aRESmgjKeB
- Workforce Development for People with Disabilities: Career Readiness & Employability (CSG-The Council of State Governments)
- Career Planning and Credentialing for People with Disabilities (WIG-Women In Government)
- An Inclusive Economic Recovery for All Americans (WGA-Western Governors Association)
Toolkits, Briefs, ADA Anniversary, National Disabaility Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM - October) Resources
- WIG Summer Summit Series July 1, 2020: ADA 30th Anniversary - State Exchange on Employment & Disability (Transcript)
- Sample National Disability Awareness Month Anniversary & ADA Anniversary Proclamation
- Sample ADA 30th Anniversary Proclamation
- TN SB 1612 "Tennessee Accessible Transportation and Mobility Act of 2020"
- Sample Executive Order/Joint Resolution to Establish A Task Force to Increase the Inclusion of People with Disabilities in The Workplace
- Policy Checklist: A Guidepost for Analyzing State Policy from a Disability Perspective
- SEED One-Pager: Advancing Policy for a More Inclusive Workforce
- Women In Government's Companion Toolkit: "State Strategies to Assist Employees with Mental Health and Substance Use Issues Stay At Work/Return To Work"
- SEED Info Brief: "Stay-at-Work/Return-to-Work"
- Advancing Policy for a More Inclusive Workforce: Transportation Challenges
Check Out WIG's Latest SEED Podcast!
Women In Government SEED Policy Roundtables
In 2016, WIG convened two Policy Roundtables at our regional conferences to provide members opportunities to discuss leverage points for positive policy and practice change in the area of employability of people with disabilities. Specifically, these sessions elucidated which policies and/or practices are most promising, potentially problematic, and what changes could be made to improve the execution of state actions.
Further, members reflected on their own state policies and generated a set of recommendations and commitments to help move the most promising policies and practices forward.
- Advancing Policy for a More Inclusive Workforce
- Work Matters- A Framework for States on Workforce Development for People with Disabilities
- Emerging Disability Policy Framework