Women In Government celebrates all of the women who won their elections for state office yesterday!
2018 has been a blockbuster year for women, with a record number of candidates running for state legislatures - 3,388! (Source: Center for American Women In Politics)
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, it is very likely that more women will serve in state legislatures come January than at any point in American history. The numbers are still being crunched.
We are excited to report that women achieved a number of "firsts" and the number of female governors has increased from 6 to 9, including Governor-elect Laura Kelly of Kansas, who just made the jump from a state senate seat!
Congratulations to the women who have moved up from seats in the state legislatures to Congress:
- Representative Abby Finkenauer of Iowa
- Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota
- Representative Yvette Herrell of New Mexico
- Representative Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania
- Delegate Jennifer Wexton of Virginia
- Delegate Carol Miller of West Virginia
A special congratulations to our incoming 2019 Chair of our Board of Directors, Senator-elect Stacey Guerin of Maine!
Congratulations to our new and returning members of our 2019 Board Directors!
- Representative Cindy Ryu (WA), Vice Chair
- Representative Jen Benson (MA), Treasurer
- Senator Nancy Todd (CO), Immediate Past Chair
- Representative Geran Tarr (AK), Western Member At Large
- Delegate Sheree Sample-Hughes (MD), Eastern Member At Large
- Senator Barbara Bollier (KS), Midwestern Member At Large
- Representative Patricia Willis (MS), Southern Member At Large
- Representative Lauren Matsumoto (HI), Western Regional Director
- Senator Gloria Butler (GA), Southern Regional Director
- Senator Mattie Hunter (IL), Midwestern Regional Director
- Representative Christie Carpino (CT), Eastern Regional Director